Monday, May 2, 2011

Change of plans...

      Well, we were all set to get on the road tomorrow but, I decided to check the Travel Advisories on the US Passport site and guess what I found??

      Travel via road from Monterrey to Nuevo Laredo and to Reynose is prohibited for employees of the US Consulate Offices due to the danger on those to roads at this time. SO, we discussed this and decided to postpone the trip until next week, maybe giving these people another week to finish making up for the fights they missed during Semana Santa and hopefully then it will be OK.

       I wouldn't be so worried about going if it was just me and Miguel but, my kids are going so, there is my main concern. Everybody says to leave them here with Miguel but, call me the overprotective mom but, I just can't leave my kids here without me knowing how it is here. I know Miguel and his family would take care of them but, it's the whole issue with the balaceras. A ten year old girl got shot in the head a couple of weeks ago for God's sakes!

      We are still considering moving to the border but, haven't made a definite decision, yet. I am going to give it another try at finding a job here before we do leave. Something has to give, the house we were going to get has been took off the market or something. The owner will not return phone calls or anything so, that is out now.

       This morning I was in a traffic jam on one of the major Avenues here but, it was not caused by cars but, by horse drawn wagons!! There were about 10 of them together, I told Miguel only in Mexico will you find a traffic jam caused by horse drawn wagons in the middle of the city. LOL Crazy.
       The heat has took a vacation, the high today is going to bening 26 celsius or 78F degrees and it will like that through Thursday and then Friday and Saturday will be 34C or 93F which is cool comparing to the last week which was between 40C or 104F and 46C or 115F.

       We didn't really do anything for Dia Del Niño because, we were plannig on leaving for the US tomorrow. We did go buy their favorite food (Carne Asada) for dinner and took them out for ice cream that evening, though.

       If anybody hears of any jobs in the Monterrey area, please post a comment or email me. Thanks ahead of time. I will keep an update on our postponed trip to the US this week. Have a good Monday everybody!!!


  1. I saw the travel warning as well. That stuff always scares me. YOu have to do what you feel is best for your family. Praying that when you do leave you have a safe journey.

  2. I hope that you have a safe trip. I'm not sure what part of Georgia you are going to but I'm sure you know that the tornados hit there and here in Alabama last week. So if for some reason you have to go through Tuscaloosa it is going to be pretty bad. Just becareful I have had to drive all the way from Alabama to the border with 5 kids alone and then from the border to Toluca Mx with my father-inlaw many times. It always scary at the border.

  3. I think you made the right decision to wait for your trip. As for the job, check out this web site Good luck and hang in there!

  4. Good luck with your job search and have a safe trip!