Friday, April 8, 2011

Welcome to our journey...

What!!!???!!! You are going to Mexico with all of the fighting going on down there??? Have you lost your mind?! You are not taking my grandbabies there!!

This is what I heard in January when we decided after the first approval for Georgia's Bill HB87 which is their version of Arizona's Bill. 
After hearing about the bill, we talked it over and decided, it is better to leave and apply for legal status from Mexico than to stay and wait until the caught him.

It took us about 2 weeks to convince my family that we would be ok. So, on March 10, 2011, we began our journey. We loaded up our 1998 Dodge Dakota with our clothes and as much household stuff as we could get in there. And set out, after 3 days and 2 nights of hearing "Are we there, yet?" from our  bored 9 and 7 year olds, we arrived in Mexico. 

Everything was great up until we were waked in the middle of the night to gunshots. We got the kids to the bedroom with no windows, (the one I used to hate but, no longer do.) and since we no longer heard any gunshots looked out the window and right in front of our bedroom window laid a man dying. We stayed up until 4 AM too scared to sleep but finally all of the Investigators left and we all camped out in a 12x10 room, all 10 of us. That room has become my safe house, if I hear anything going on in our area; my kids go in that room. 

When we decided to come here, we thought prices were close to the same as before but, imagine our shock when we realized that food prices are the same as in the US. We arrived here with less than $1500 dollars and are now trying to live on M’s salary of $1200 pesos a week which is about $106 Dollars.

I am job hunting now so, hopefully I will have a job by the first week of May. We’ll see….

Goodbye for now..

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an interesting story! I know you've stepped into a difficult journey, but sounds like you guys made the right decision. Can he go ahead and apply now for his papers? Try and do it ASAP! Can you go to embassy and do it.... i'm not sure how it all works, but don't let time slip away.

    I'm so into your blog! I hope you will write often. I have not been back to Mexico since my son was born (over 5 yrs ago). My husband went when there was a death in the family, but I was too nervous to take my son and I after hearing about the violence b/t the cartels, kidnappings, etc....

    My parents would have said the same thing yours did. I so want my son to meet his abuela y primos. I just do not know how risky it is. Mu hubby's family is from northern Mexico, coahuila to be exact.

    I hope you keep blogging! It can be good stress relief as well.

    Good luck on your job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara- Where in Coahuila is your husband from, I have friends who are from Villa de Juarez, Coahuila about 45 minutes from Sabinas, Coahuila.
    The INS officer told me that I have to provide 3 months of any utility bill to prove residence in Mexico and after that it takes 5-6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in this situation at this very moment. Sigh. Just discovered your blog, excited to see all your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete