Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sad Times

Well, I am in the States and have been since my birthday, the 17th.

It started out as a very sad day and only got worse. Miguel left us at the bus station and we all cried. I had to force myself to stay on the bus. Miguel stood outside the bus until we left. I later found out that he was waiting on us to change our minds and get off.
We left and hadn't even been moving for an hour and Luis started vomiting (he was car sick). this went on the whole trip from Monterrey to the Border.

We got to the border and had to wait for 5.5 hours to even get to the checkpoint!! After finally getting there, we had to get off with all of our stuff. Our passports had to be scanned and the bags Xrayed. This took another hour and a half.

Keep in mind that we had a flight leaving from San Antonio at 8PM. I had bought tickets to arrive in San Antonio at 2:45PM to leave times for delays at the border. I never imagined that much of a delay!! Well, I think Senda had calculated in 2 hours for the border because of the length of time between leaving and arriving.

Thank God, we got to the airport at 6:50PM and had a few minutes to buy a coffee. I checked our luggage and had to pay $50 because it was 10 lbs over weight! I about cried!!

The kids flew for the first time in their lives and they were extremely excited and nervous. At first Luis was begging for his panda bear and then as soon as the plane picked up speed for take off, they were yelling, "Awesome!!! This is so cool!!!"

We arrived in Atlanta at 11:20PM. For those of you who haven't been to Hartsfield-Jackson, it is an international airport and is huge!! We had to walk or take the shuttle. I decided to walk we arrived 25 minutes early and knowing my parents they would be late. We walked for around 25 minutes and finally had to get on the shuttle to get to baggage claim.

My parents were an hour late!! I didn't have a cell phone, but there were pay phones (old school) and I had change!! I called my mom and dad, no answer. SO, I called Miguel, he sent a text message. After a few minutes, they showed up and we got lost going home because they would not follow my directions.

We got home 4 hours after we landed.

The weekend was ok, I school shopped, food shopped, and visited with a couple friends.

On Monday afternoon, Miguel received horrible news, his baptism godfather had killed himself. He hung himself. Miguel says that he is ok, but I know he feels bad because he hadn't had a chance to go see them since we moved to the rancho. I feel horrible because I am here and he is there and having to go to the funeral alone. I should be there with him. I tried to get a plane ticket back, but the prices were too high and the layovers were so long that Miguel said for me not to worry. He said, I would arrive way after the burial and he is really ok. I made Miguel feel bad yesterday, I told him that his godfather was selfish. How was he going to kill himself and leave a wife, 11 year old daughter, and 2 other children to have to grieve his suicide and even though they don't have money, pay his burial. He said I had a point, but I kind of noticed he was upset. I feel bad for saying it, but I got so mad. Miguel said his daughter was so distraught when she arrived from Reynosa that they had to carry her in. I was like how could a father who claims to love his children so much do this to them? I just don't understand it.

May his godfather Berno rest in peace and that whatever reason he did this no longer bother him. A very sad situation for his whole family.

1 comment:

  1. Suicide is a form of mental illness. The brain gets sick and dies, rational, no but mental illness by its nature is not rational. To curse someone for being ill, if it were cancer or heart problems would not seem right. Because it was the brain that killed the man, he should have somehow been able to cure himself? I've known too many suicides to believe that they really had a choice in their deaths. It is part of the human condition.